The Galapagos Islands is a beautiful archipelago off the coast of Ecuador with no shortage of environmental problems from wild goats and rats to blackberry and guava trees. I have written at length about environmental problems on the Galapagos Islands and have recommended volunteer programs on the Galapagos here in the past that turned out to be so poorly run I was forced to remove them – including one that was awarded by National Geographic.
Since then I have been wary about recommending other Galapagos Volunteer Programs, but after a few years we found some great projects that are worth listing.
VOLUNTEER PROGRAM ON THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
In Santa Cruz, Volunteers will be staying in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz Galápagos Island. Volunteer work will involve teaching English to the local community. Because of a lack of resources and English teachers, the demand of English courses is extremely high. Our Teaching programme mission is to provide sustainable educational support within disadvantaged schools and communities to reduce inequality in education. Through our volunteers, we aim to empower underprivileged students by improving their future prospects and equipping them with the skills needed to actively engage in a multi-national community.
Santa Cruz Galápagos Island is the best place also for the Island Hopping, you can go to Isla Isabela (2 hours) or the other Islands to discover all the treasures of the Galápagos Islands. By having connections with locals through teaching English, volunteers are given the opportunity to get to know the Galapagos Islands on a more intimate level, unlike the typical tourist.
Why This Volunteer Work Project is Important
The Galapagos Islands is one of the most biological diverse places on the planet, and the local people started to take care of the biodiversity of their treasure. Every resident is involved in tourism and need to communicate with tourists, so english became a must for them, it’s why it’s important to teach english to the community.
The Volunteer Perfect for this Program
– People who are passionate about education and kids
– People with english skills and at least a beginner level of spanish
– Artists, musicians,and educators
– Teaching English to local kids and adults
– Teaching environmental awareness
– Organize interactive activities
– Cleaning the beaches and lagunas from garbage
– Participate with the recycling program
-Volunteers will be volunteering between Monday to Friday with weekends free for leisure time to explore the rest of the Galapagos
-Able to be self sufficient
-Provide their own food for breakfast and dinner, which can be bought cheaply at the local market in Santa Cruz
1 week : US $300
2 weeks : US $405
3 weeks : US $500
4 weeks : US $625
* 24/7 emergency contact and support from EEV staff, administration costs, communication costs with volunteers and travel costs for program inspection;
* Day 1: Airport pickup and first nights accommodation in Quito
* Day 2: Transfer to orientation in Riobamba / home stay
* Pickup and transportation from Baltra Airport to volunteer site
* Lunch from Monday to Friday
* Training and Support
* Work Reference / Volunteer Certificate
* Contribution to the community
* Volunteers also receive discounts on Mountain Climbing and Trekking Expeditions.
Price Does Not Include:
– Galapagos Islands Park Entrance Fee
– Flight to Santa Cruz, Galapagos – Baltra Airport
Minimum Time Spent Volunteering
– 1 week minimum
(Maximum 4 Volunteers at a Time)
Contact us for more information: