Ser means To Be in English and Project SER is a community organization that works towards the communal creation of alternative spaces for human development, focusing on humanist and eco-environmental ideas.
This project is certified under the government Ministry of Economic and Social Inclusion and holds three lines of action:
– eco-environmental and alternative education
– alternative therapies through active learning spaces for children and adults
– building an ecological and self-sustaining community
The objective of Project SER is to contribute to the wellbeing of people, families, and community through alternative methods of education to strengthen harmony between the oneself, their interactions with others, as well as their connection to nature and the community.
The project is building cottages with local and sustainable resources (guadúa cane and mud) and aims to sustain itself through its own cultivation of organic fruit and vegetable crops. Their goal is to consolidate a space that is being reforested and preserved for endangered species.
Project SER is on a 4 hectare plot of land in the Ecuadorian Amazon by the River Upano in Morona Santiago ten minutes from the capital Macas. The area has two cabins, a kitchen stove, showers, electricity (that is off-the-grid solar when possible) as well as composting toilets (dry toilets) with sustainable treatment / processing methods for compost and manure.
Project SER works closely with the Shuar and Achuar indigenous nationalities and promotes an increased cultural exchange and increased participation of their families and children in this project. By organizing workshops on permaculture, alternative forms of education, alternative health, personal and interpersonal development, among others, that are open to the community, facilitates this cultural exchange of knowledge.
VOLUNTEER TASKS AND RESPONBILITIES
Areas of work for volunteers
– Education based on the Montessori (requires an excellent proficiency in Spanish) with three months minimum,
– Teachers of languages for children and adolscents (kichwa, shuar chican, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, etc) 1 month minimum volunteer
– Ecological architecture, permaculture, and bio-construction: those who are interested in acquiring the knowledge (Spanish fluency not necessary) – 2 weeks minimum time for volunteers.
– Organic agriculture, open to those who are interested in acquiring the knowledge (Spanish fluency not necessary) – 2 weeks minimum time for volunteers.
– If you have worked in media, graphic design, photography and creative illustration you can really help build and strengthen the identity of this project. Knowledge of Spanish is not necessary but the basics will help for a more rewarding experience.
Volunteers should work 4 hours daily and will have home-stay accommodation in the houses of the associations families.
Price per week:
– $65 USD per week for 3 weeks or less
– $50 USD per week for 4 to 8 weeks.
– $40 USD per week for 9 weeks or more.
– all accommodation.
Minimum Time Volunteering:
– A $130 USD for two weeks is the shortest amount of time you can spend on this project