This volunteer program is no longer available on Ecuador Eco Volunteer while we currently undergo changes to make this organization 100% non-profit.
Volunteers will be staying on the island of Santa Cruz in the centre of the Galapagos Islands. Volunteer work activities will include the removal of introduced / invasive species as well as cleaning the coast of rubbish which may involve using snorkelling gear to clean up hard to get places.
Expected Tasks While Volunteering:
- Removing Invasive Plant Species
- Reforestation Project of Native Plant Species
- Cleaning the beaches and island of rubbish
- Community Work
A Typical Day While Volunteering:
Volunteers usually work in the mornings until early afternoon on weekdays. The climate is very hot and volunteers will be mostly working outdoors so be prepared to use lots of sunscreen and drink lots of water. In the afternoon volunteers have free time to explore the island, the beaches, the lava tunnels, the Charles Darwin Station and the many other attractions that make Santa Cruz the best island to base yourself.
Santa Cruz is also located in the very middle of the Galapagos Islands making it the best place to go island hopping to Santa Isabella in the West, Bartolomé in the North, Floreana in the South, and San Cristobal in the far East.
Why This Volunteer Work Project is Important:
The Galapagos Islands is one of the most biological diverse places on the planet but the introduction of invasive weeds like the blackberry plant and guava fruit as well as non-natural predators like cats and goats has had a devastating effect on the islands wildlife. For more on why this is important read this article on Environmental Problems on the Galapagos.
Fees and Costs
- 1 week $225 USD
- 2 weeks $305 USD
- 3 weeks $350 USD
- 4 weeks $390 USD
(Maximum 4 Weeks)
- A one off $50 admin fee in addition in order to register and reserve your space in the program
- The full payment must be made one month before your time in the program starts.
- Maximum of 4 Volunteers at a Time
- Training and Support
- Accommodation on the Santa Cruz Island
- Snorkelling Gear
Price Does Not Include:
- Travel to the Galapagos Islands
- Galapagos Islands Park Entrance Fee
- Volunteers must prepare their own food